Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Intervention

Last night I watched the show Intervention on A&E. I used to watch the show all the time, although I’m sure why. I can’t sympathize with any of the people on there. I don’t know what they are going through, nor do I know why they are going through it. I seriously sit through the whole hour long show and ask myself… WHY are these people like that? I know, I know… I shouldn’t be so quick to judge, but I don’t understand it.

Most of the people on the show have gone through something traumatizing in their lives that has led them to drugs/alcohol/eating disorders. Some of the things are terrible things that have happened, other things are not. I honestly do not understand how something gets so bad that they have to turn to drugs in order to deal with the day to day. I feel terrible for these people, and my heart literally breaks everytime I read at the end of the show that they failed in their recovery efforts, or worse, they lost the battle with their addiction completely.

While watching this show, my thoughts always travel to my sister. Not because of her, but because she lost one of her very best friends to addiction. He was on cocaine (I think, don’t quote me) and decided one night in the middle of the night that his life was too hard. He killed himself. My sister was the last person he tried to call before he did it and she didn’t answer because she was mad at him. Now my sister deals with that guilt on a daily basis. She believes that had she answered the phone and talked to him, she may have been able to “talk him off the cliff” so to speak. I struggle with understanding what my sister is going through, and hope that I NEVER have to go through something like that.

I guess the reason for this post is because I seriously struggle with the why in all these situations and everytime I watch the show, I conjure up these thoughts and struggle with understanding why people’s lives get so bad that they turn to drugs, or killing themselves. I seriously thank God everyday for the life I was given. Sometimes I wonder how I found my husband, and why things have worked out the way they have. I am very fortunate to have a wonderful family, great friends, and a seriously great life.

My mom once told me I was judging from a pedastool. I don’t want this post to sound like that at all. I just don’t understand! I don’t understand how one makes that decision and I just wanted to share my thoughts with you guys this morning and get it off my chest.

Thanks for reading and any responses.

3 comments:

Connie said...

I wonder about that too.

My Dad is an alcoholic and addicted to pain meds. (we don't currently have a relationship because of this) He claims that he is addicted to these things because of the way his Dad (who has been dead for 4 years) treated him and said he was worthless.

He is also a Vietnam Vet and blames everything on The War.

I've had plenty of stupid crap happen in my life but I don't dwell on it. Why some people do...it beyond me.

I'd rather be happy.

Anonymous said...

Been there done that-so yeah-no sympathy at all.

Addiction is a cop out and an excuse to take the easy way out while making EVERYONE around you pay for your stupid. See also: been there done that.

I've watched intervention and I just wanna slap the taste out the addict and their families mouth.

As for your sister-nothing she coulda woulda shoulda did would have changed the outcome.

Kara said...

I can understand how tradegy can put you in a place of vunerability.. but it is YOUR choice to overcome it. My son died at 15 months of age... right after my husband came back from boot camp (5 months) in the army. I cannot say that I didn't have a problem with alcohol at the time.. because sometimes when you are so down.. you feel there is no other choice. As to turning to an actual addiction and it ruling life? I do not agree.. you have to realize that you have a life to live and people that care about you... and try to heal the wounds and move on...everyone goes through different life changing experiences.. it's how you handle them is the most important.

I watch this show all the time (not sure why) and I often think how selfish they are being. I think "I lost my son. my baby.. and I am still standing. I am breathing." It's the selfish way out.. because If I resorted to drugs everytime I went through a hard time I'd be dead.